Monday, September 6, 2010

Life or Death? Please let it live.

We were at Disney World in Florida for Labor Day weekend. Calvin is 4, and just barely over 40 inches tall, so he was able to ride a lot of the fun rides.

Sunday morning when I wiped there was a tinge of brownish blood. I thought...well, here we go. Either I'm going to lose this baby or not. No more blood the whole day. We enjoyed ourselves at Magic Kingdom and tried not to think about what might happen.

I've actually never had bleeding or spotting during a pregnancy. None with Calvin or Addison; none when I had a missed miscarriage in 2008 at about week 10. They just found there was no heartbeat during a routine check-up. But I know it's not a great sign, even if it's not always prelude to disaster.

Today we were scheduled to fly back home to Georgia at 6:30pm. I woke up around 8am and felt a small gush; I thought maybe I had peed myself. In the bathroom I ended up bleeding quite a bit of red blood. I inspected it and saw a few small clots. It's pretty much the last thing I wanted to see. My intuition failing me, all I could rely on was my instinct to get home so I could get to a hospital. Unfortunately, Labor Day is not the day to get a flight easily changed. So we were stuck.

We decided to go to a hospital to get checked. After nearly 4 hours, we got an answer. It's a subchorionic hemorrhage measuring 4.2 x 3.7 x 2.5cm. The good news is that the baby is alive and measuring right on target - 10 wks 6 days. I was told I could travel home (and we just made it back) but was instructed not to carry anything heavier than my purse. Of course I had been schlepping Calvin around all weekend when he got tired of walking.

The bad news is the unknown. At this point, it can go either way. Either this baby will make it, or it won't. And even within that simplistic-sounding statement, there are so many either/or scenarios. My big fear is the genetic fuckup. Either there will be one or there won't. I'm not "allowed" to talk about fear and anxiety to many people in my real world. They don't want to hear it, and make me feel as if I am creating my own destiny by fearing the worst. If I had that much control over my world, Addison would be alive and healthy and I wouldn't have to be going through another fucking pregnancy right now.

So I'll see my doctor tomorrow. I'll call when his crappy-office-hours office opens at 9am. I literally have 3 days available to take off from work for the rest of the year. I don't even care. Sometimes life takes a priority to work. And this is one of those times.

It's hard to let myself feel all these feelings, so I'm not. Not yet. I fear I will have a literal nervous breakdown if I lose this baby. I just don't want to lose it. I just can't go through it. I don't want to have to explain to Calvin why another baby died, when we just had the guts to tell him there is another baby in my tummy. I don't want to waste more time on pregnancies that don't equal babies. Damnit, I want this baby to live and thrive and grow and be born healthy. Hey, Universe, is that too much to ask for?

Perhaps.

8 comments:

  1. Hugs Rebecca. Hope the hemerrhage disappears soon because you don't need extra stress.

    And I'd agree life is a priority over work here.

    Maddie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers for you & the baby. How terrifying especially while away from home. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying your little one stays safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sod work in circumstances like this.

    i'm praying that all goes well.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from LFCA ... I'm sending thoughts and prayers that your baby is safe, and that the pregnancy continues to be healthy. I hate this place, too. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here from LFCA.

    I will be praying for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here from LFCA. I hope you got good news on Tuesday. I, too, had an SCH which caused bleeding at 7 weeks, and the result of that pregnancy is soundly sleeping upstairs. It is scary and stressful and generally sucks, but it can and does turn out okay! Sending lots of good vibes and prayers your way -- you deserve happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same gushing of blood at 10 weeks with my twins. It is a lot more common than people think, and fairly harmless, even though it is frightening. In my case the bleeding turned to brown by the afternoon, then stopped, and then never happened again. I delivered at 38 weeks and had no further complications. SCH's are generally not related to the health or genetics of the fetus and usually go away on their own. I hope that is the case with you.

    ReplyDelete